Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Teething and other topics

Well, I'm like 99% sure that Stella is teething. Here's why:


1) Tylenol actually helps. 
2) She chews on her hands constantly.
3) Is refusing the pacifier more than ever. It appears to make her mouth hurt when I try to get her to take it.
4) It totally feels weird when she nurses, like she's scraping my boob.
5) Is insanely fussy.


I had thought this was the "meat" of her 3 mos. growth spurt, but after begging for help on Facebook yesterday, it seems that I'm wrong. My mom has been insisting for about a week that she's teething. She saw the video of Stella chatting, and, in my most eloquent Pam vernacular, said, "With the way she's a'slobberin', she's teethin', Mindy." So, I looked up the symptoms.


When I say that she feels different nursing, it just feels like she's almost chewing on my boob. I know that seems weird, but I can tell her gums feel different. One of my old coworkers (who is an expert baby advisor) said to feel her gums. I didn't usually stick my finger in her mouth, so I didn't have a good point of reference. They just felt like baby gums to me. Yesterday, I noticed a different "feel" to her nursing, so I think I can safely say her gums are different. 


The fussiness is insane. I mean absolutely insane. Derek came home last night, and I was like, "Today was one of those days where I wish I could have some whiskey straight right now." It was rough. My back was aching from carrying her around all day. Obviously, she was in pain and wanted to be held for comfort. I can't blame her, but it is physically difficult to cart around a nearly 14 lb baby all day. 


I guess we'll see if a little tooth pops through soon. I hope it does since everyone has been telling me that the pain subsides then. I just wasn't expecting to go through teething issues already, but I guess every baby is different and there are many babies who teeth at this age. 


Thanks, everyone, for your advice yesterday. I sincerely appreciate it, and I do think the Tylenol is helping. She's at least able to be pleasant after she has it. 


In other news, Kaylie - our nanny - came yesterday. It was sort of like a "Stella Orientation" for her, heh. I showed her around our house, and I showed her how we do things. I have a dr appointment today at 2, and she's coming at 1. We'll see how she does with Stella on her own. I have some pumped milk in the fridge, and I already sat out some disposable diapers for her. I hope I don't scare her away! She's super sweet!


And lastly: Wow. Last night was crazy. After Derek came home and I complained for a good twenty minutes, he was sitting on the couch with Stella. I was eating, and he goes, "You're pooping, aren't you?" I was like, "She hasn't pooped in a couple days." Well, he checked. It was an all-out insane poop. Her poops have become crazy. She poops about every 3 days or so, and when she does, you need to call in reinforcements. Derek had to do a wardrobe change, and we had to wash all of her changing table stuff. He gave her a bath right away, too. Everyone said this would happen, but just wow. I had no idea it could be that crazy. 


I also think it's pretty darn funny that she waited until her dad had her ;) Maybe she was sparing me because she knew I had a rough day, haha. 


Stella seems to be waking up from her morning nap, so I need to run. I hope the teething is over soon! My poor girl is miserable! :( 

No comments:

Post a Comment