Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Names

I'm debating blogging about this, but I guess I'll go ahead and do it anyway. 


While my mom was here at Thanksgiving, she asked me repeatedly what our baby name choices are. We insisted on keeping it secret for the sake of fairness and we wanted to share our names on the blog. We figured that this way all family and friends would know equally. 


I sat down to blog about our baby being the size of a banana (yay!), and I asked Derek, "Do you think I should go ahead and share our names?" His reply was a short, "Nah." I asked him why he felt that way, and he said he had no basis for his feelings and he merely picked something. He then said, "Go ahead and tell everyone." As I sit here typing, I feel insanely guilty and like I'm doing something he doesn't want me to do be doing. 


I guess I think keeping the baby names a secret for the next 19 weeks or so is just weird. 


I figure I may as well share our name choices because I don't think they're changing. Let me preface them with this: we found these names and immediately agreed. We wanted to go ahead and go with something before we drove ourselves mad. 


Here goes nothing...


For a girl, we have chosen Stella Mae Ratcliff. (Remember the SMR?) I came up with Stella based on an Interpol song - "Stella was a diver and she was always down." The link will take you to one of those Youtube videos that plays music. Now, don't go talking to me about the meaning of the song because I don't really care about that. I have loved that song since I first heard Turn on the Bright Lights by Interpol, and I think it will forever remind me of Columbus, Ohio - one of my favorite cities. I know the lyrics are a little dicey, but I think the associations I have with the song - cold Columbus air, Ohio State's SEL library at 5am, and working at the main library - all make up my warm, fuzzy feeling for it. The middle name came because I wanted something simple that would go with the first name, and it wouldn't spell something ridiculous like SAR or SIR. 


For a boy, we have chosen Harry (Harold) James Ratcliff. Obviously, his birth certificate will say Harold, but who calls a toddler Harold? I was content with naming him just plain Harry, but Derek wanted him to have a formal name for job applications and the like. Harold also reminds both Derek and me of being in Physics class at Ohio State and hearing Prof. Klaus Honschied say "Hayold" to his TA, Harold. We still say that from time to time. This particular name came to us just randomly one day. Derek messaged me at work and said, "What about Harry?" and I was like, "Oh, man. I love it." I said, "What do you think?" He said, "I think it's awesome." From then on, we loved Harry. We knew people would immediately think of Harry Potter, and that's fine with us. We didn't come up with it from that, but we don't mind the association. I guess when I think of a little boy named Harry, I imagine him being mischievous and hyper - like his father. The middle name came from a variety of places. We like James for the sake of its timeless quality and, yes, I'll admit it, James Joyce. I couldn't help myself... 


Above all, we wanted names that 1) had no family connection and 2) went well with our last name. Obviously, I love all sorts of crazy names of Spanish and Indian origin, but our last name is Ratcliff. I mean, it's English, so we have to work with that. 


The family connection thing comes from us not wanting to hurt any one particular family member's feelings for not having chosen his or her name. We love our family equally, and we thought it best to leave the baby's name out of it. 


So there you have it :) 


In other news, Thanksgiving was great. I think my mom had a great time, and we enjoyed having her here. She brought us some OSU booties and an adorable OSU onesie and hat set from her friend, Jackie. Just before Thanksgiving, Derek's mother sent us a beautifully crocheted blanket for the baby and a Christmas ornament. It's an angel, and she said in her note that Baby Ratcliff "is an angel." We thought that was too sweet!


Things are going well. We have LOTS of movement now. My mom and Derek both felt some vigorous kicks over the weekend, and the baby was loving the pecan pie we made! 


We'll keep you posted as more updates come! :) 

6 comments:

  1. I love the names. They are perfect! Harry is awesome and Stella and Lila sound like they need to be friends! Good job guys! Can't wait to find out who is joining your family!

    Oh and my guesses were Susannah Mae and Henry James. :)

    Your choices are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were so close!! I also have to admit that I stole Mae from your post about the origins of Lila's name! I loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the names and as you know I am most sure it will be a girl. I think Harry for a boy is just too cute.
    I am also glad you two enjoyed my visit, I really had a great time. I am so proud of you guys and so so lucky to have such a fine son-in-law.
    Glad the suspense is over!!!
    Love You Guy's
    Momma Bear

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your post. Funny, I thought of naming our daughter, Ella Mae, but I always loved the name Elizabeth (which is my g-g-grandmother's name and a classic). We gave her Ella as a nickname. Lila was also on our list, but I couldn't come up with a middle name I liked to go with it. My maternal grandmother's name is Lila Lavera. I was really not crazy about Lavera, for sure. Isn't it too much fun naming your child?!!!! Who knows, maybe you'll have one of both.... And, don't feel bad if you change your mind when you see him or her. It's your perogative! ;)

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do realize that Harold James sounds a lot like one of my absolute Favorite!!! fictional characters name and his fathers... at least i hope you do... and now i kind of hope you do have a boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete