Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Unexpected Dr. Visit

Well, I said I wouldn't post again until my doctor's appointment on Monday, but I unexpectedly went in to the doctor today.


Sigh. I woke up yesterday with some terrible cramping - very sharp cramps. I decided that it was probably how I slept or maybe just more stretching pain. Well, the cramping continued and it got worse. By last night, I was miserable, and I went to bed around 8 or so after we ate dinner. I woke up this morning and walked to work, and it was still there. It was so hard for me to make it up the stairs to work. I decided I need to call and speak with a nurse.


When I called, they decided they wanted me to come in immediately. I arrived at the doctor's office around 9:15, and I wasn't seen by anyone until nearly 10am. They decided to do a fetal fibronectin and I was hooked up to a cardiotocography machine. Big word, eh? Basically, it monitors Stella's heart rate and checks for contractions. I had to push a button every time I felt her move - which was a lot.


They came in and checked me, and Stella's heart rate was great - she was always in the 130-160 range. I noticed that her heart rate would bounce really high when she'd start moving a lot. It was interesting to see. I had no contractions, just small irritation here and there. All very good.


Then, I got to get another ultrasound! I was so excited, but when I went in, it just to check to see that my cervix is closed and it is. Since my cervix is closed, they didn't have to follow through with testing for the fetal fibronectin - phew! The worst part was when they took the sample - not comfortable at all! :( Regardless, they didn't have to send it off since everything else was fine. 


They checked my urine - and BINGO! - therein lies the problem. I am terribly dehydrated. All that hype over needing to drink some water... oh well! I'm just glad it's not anything terribly serious and we're definitely sure that our baby girl is very healthy and doing well. No fear of preterm labor. I was ordered to rest for the remainder of the day, and the nurse practitioner wanted me to stay home tomorrow. I was like, "Uhm, I need to save my leave. Thanks." She said she understood, but I guess we'll see how I feel in the morning. If I wake up with more cramping and feeling yucky, then I'll stay home. I know I need to do what's best for Stella and me. 


I think I have been running around a lot. Lately, it seems like I've had tons of students wanting to see me and I had an event that I ran last week, and Derek and I worked on our office this past weekend. I also went to the gym this week, so I think I've been trying to do too much. I'm sitting on our bed now with a bottle of water, wearing some pajamas. It's a very good feeling :) 


Oh, I was also ordered to wear the maternity band more. I was pretty bummed about that since it's not the most comfortable thing in the world. I guess because I'm so small and have nowhere to put Stella, I need help carting her around. I was also told not to exercise and just rest for the weekend. Speaking of my own size, I weighed in, and I'm currently at +23 lbs. I figure that's not that bad. Even if I gain a lb a week from now until 40 weeks, I'll still be well under the 35lb mark. I did gain more than my last weigh in, but I've been shoveling away the beef in order to keep my iron up. It all evens out, I guess. Either way, I was happy. 


Here's the kicker that I've been saving for the end - while this morning was a total pain in my ass, I did get to see Stella again! Technically, the ultrasound tech was only supposed to measure my cervix length, but she said, "I know how it goes. Being this close to an ultrasound machine and not seeing your baby would be torture!" I couldn't have agreed more! 


She took two quick pictures - one in 3D and one in 2D. The 2D one is actually better because of the way Stella is now positioned.



So, this is a shot of her face in 2D. I think you can tell she's a bit bigger than the last ultrasound! 


And, here's our girl with her hand up by her face. She kept turning and hiding! 

Stella's position is now feet down, probably something like this, but only with her back facing out:


Only her feet are kind of together, like how you imagine a frog's:


So, her head is laying on my rib cage, on my right side. Her SHOULDER! is what's laying into my belly near my belly button, and her feet have been repeatedly stomping the bottom of my cervix. When I think of her in this position, it makes me realize just how big she is. 

Anyway, I need to get back to resting and drinking water. We have our "Prepared Childbirth" class on Saturday, all day. I'm sure I'll have some funny stories from that to share :) Oh, and I'm still visiting for my regular check up on Monday. I'll see my doctor then, not just a nurse practitioner. 



2 comments:

  1. Glad everything was okay and you got to see your girl again! Drink that water and relax!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful little Stella pictures. Take good care of yourself MJ. Rest and drink lot's of fluids. You are almost there!!!! Love you,

    AA

    ReplyDelete