Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Switching Up the Game Plan

This post must be quick since I have a ton of grading to finish tonight, but I had to take a second to update everyone on something.


Well, you remember how I said we wouldn't find out the gender of the baby... ?


The other day I was talking to Derek, and I told him how upset I've been since I haven't had any idea of what to expect. I told him I really wanted to know, and I even went to so far to call the doctor's office about finding out. I thought maybe they had it documented, and when the assistant said it was only documented that the baby's gender is "normal," I started crying out of frustration.


She said I could do a gender scan, and that would be the only way I could find out before my next ultrasound at 36 weeks. So in an act of desperation, I scheduled a gender scan for Monday at 11:30 am. 


I know, I know... I've been so worried that everyone will judge me for not having a stronger will. If you know me at all, you know I'm impulsive and capricious, and that's just the problem here. I've been shopping for gender neutral clothing, and I can't find anything that isn't covered in puke yellow ducks. I have some OSU stuff, but like I told Derek, I can't have our baby wearing pukey ducks and OSU stuff for the first 3 months of his or her life. 


So my impatience has gotten the best of me. I had really wanted for it to be a surprise, but I can't do this for another 18 weeks. It's driving me crazy, and I have to know. 


I think that since Derek and I finalized our names (around 19 weeks), I've wanted to know: are you Harry or Stella? Every time the baby moves (which is a lot anymore), I just wonder who this is moving around. Maybe I'm weak willed. Maybe I'm being a total princess about shopping. Maybe I'm just impatient. Whatever it is, I need to know. It's driving me absolutely insane, and I can't take it anymore. 


Derek is totally fine with finding out. I think because I've been crying and bitching and complaining since our 19 week ultrasound. I imagine he's sick of the drama. Regardless, I need to get to grading, but I figured this needed to be out there.


You can leave your judgments here. I know - I'm a big drama queen and I have to know what's going on. You can say whatever you want. 




6 comments:

  1. MJ,
    I think you are doing the right thing finding out the babies gender, I know you wanted the element of surprise but just think of all that you can accomplish by knowing the appropriate clothing & ect. to buy. I can't wait to find out and I know your mom will be thrilled, she said the nursery ( well the entire new house ) is just beautiful. I am so happy for you & Derek and will be anxious to find out if I will be getting a little grand niece or grand nephew.
    Love, AA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mindy,
    I love this decision. Anyone who judges anyone for this personal of a decision is being super catty. I'm thrilled and can't wait to find out!
    -your pod neighbor Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - just do it! We will all be really excited to hear if you're having a Harry or Stella!
    Lena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mindy,
    I support your decision. Don't worry what anyone else thinks. It is a very personal decision and you don't have to justify it to anyone!!! Just think of all the details and plans you and Derek can make once you know. It will make things so much easier. (I am going yarn shopping next week; now I will know what colors to get. Hooray!) Can't wait to find out. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edward de Bono said: “If you never change your mind, why have one?”

    ~~~You tried for a quite a long time and I think that's commendable. I agree with everyone else. We're in a different age now and it's cool that you can plan & prepare more for your little one's arrival. I think it may just make life a little easier once they are here.
    So excited for Monday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Stella ;)
    Best wishes Mindy & Derek!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot wait for you guys to find out! I agree, knowing the gender has meant a lot more to me than I thought it would. I think it's helped me feel really connected to the baby and more ready for her arrival. I think it takes a lot of the stress away. You guys will be so happy to know! I'm leaning slightly Harry. :)

    ReplyDelete