Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Oh, hi!

I really don't post here as often as I should. Mindy worries a lot about the changes that a baby will bring to our lives. Personally, I'm not worried. We were both babies once, and as far as I'm concerned that makes us both uniquely qualified to be parents.

I know I have no idea what I'm doing as far as parenting goes, but I guess I just don't see what there is to fret about. Human beings have been reproducing for quite some time. If you go back far enough (which isn't even very far, really), you can find plenty of my ancestors who weren't born in hospitals and whose parents didn't read a bunch of books about how to be parents.

I think a lot about the theoretical underpinnings (how pretentious does that sound?) of my philosophy towards child-rearing. It's totally impractical from a preparatory standpoint to think about guiding principles, but I just don't see how an in-depth analysis of diaper changing, breastfeeding, and not sleeping can really improve my proficiency in any of those things.

Everyone wants to talk to you about what being a parent is going to be like, but (and I hate to admit it) I just don't care to listen. If the only thing I have in common with someone is a baby that I don't even have yet, I don't want to listen to that person's advice about anything. I guess I've just never been much for advice in general. I'd like to learn things the easy way, but I don't know if there is an easy way for me to learn anything. I get bored trying to listen. And, honestly, I kind of like the hard way of learning. Unless my health or financial well-being is at risk.

Soo... that's me being crabby for the week. Until next time!



3 comments:

  1. You will do just fine Derek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to self: Don't talk to Derek about what it will be like to be a parent.

    Seriously, though, I didn't read the books, and I didn't know what the hell I was doing either, but you figure it out. It comes pretty naturally.

    ReplyDelete