Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Six Weeks!

Holy smokes! Time flies! I can't believe our girl is six weeks old today! I also can't believe I had my six weeks postpartum check up either. I checked out all healthy and everything is healing normally. I was really worried about that because I had stopped bleeding (tmi, I know) at 3 and a half weeks, and I went for a run last week and came back to a bunch of spotting. I was so scared that I hadn't ran since. 


Well, all is well! I'm only 5 lbs from my initial OB weigh in back on Aug 23. I was so happy about that! I've still got about 8 lbs to go to be at my true prepregnancy weight since I gained a little before my first appointment at 7 weeks. I'd like to lose about 10-15, though. Anyway, enough about me!


Derek and Stella came along to the appointment. Derek drove separately since he had to go to work afterward. Stella was quite popular in the office. Some of you may have seen this picture on Facebook, but here she is, all ready to go:



I just can't believe she's already six weeks old! Derek and I weighed her last night, and she weighed 10lbs 2oz. She's definitely getting bigger, and she is so heavy compared to the teeny weeny baby that we brought home. She's also getting so much more alert and we do playtime every day. Here she is, letting me know that playtime is over (i.e. she's pissed):


I like to play music for her. So far she seems to enjoy Fleet Foxes, Datarock, and Death Cab for Cutie. She does not like Beastie Boys so much, so no one tell her that I already bought her a Beastie Boys onesie... Here's a video of her having fun:


She's also sleeping so well anymore. It's weird! We have a nighttime routine that looks something like this:

620 or so: Mom and Dad eat dinner (Stella usually interrupts for her meal)
645: Stella eats
700: Stella gets a bath - She LOVES bath time! Derek and I always bathe her together. It's sort of our big evening event, haha.
730: Stella nurses again 
745 or so: Stella naps 
830: Stella wakes up pissed and fusses 
915: Stella nurses
930: Stella's in bed

That's sort of the gist of it, and there's some deviation of this schedule that happens every night, often more fussing. She stays asleep, generally, until about 145-2am. We do a fast diaper change and she eats. She falls asleep and stays that way until about 530-6. I'm always amazed because I feel like this is too much sleep for a six weeks old baby. My mom and Derek keep telling me not to worry about it. 

Some of her favorite activities include: bath time; tummy time (she always grunts and farts!); looking at her books - she likes high contrast images like zebras and penguins and she laughs at those the most. I always joke and say that if Stella were on facebook, she'd "like" nursing. This is her favorite, and no, she won't take a pacifier anymore. She only wants the boob. 

Things she hates: being in her carseat; walks; bottles; pacifiers; her bassinet; headbands and hats. Oh, and being dressed. She HATES having anything pulled over her head. She really does have Derek's head, so I can understand why this is traumatic for her. 

However, I do like dressing her, and one of my favorite activities (for myself) is to see what wacky outfit I can come up with - like this one:

I love Babylegs - baby leg warmers! I kept singing, "Let's get physical, physical!" to her :) 

We're still co-sleeping, and I honestly really like it. It makes feeding her much easier. Sometimes, we just side-latch it and she just falls asleep after she's finished eating. We're still using the nipple shields, but we're working on it. Every day, I have her eat at least once without it. She gets pissed, but we're slowly getting better. In fact, she just did a feeding without it, and now that she's bigger and her tongue tie is gone, it doesn't hurt me at all.

Anyway, Stella is a doing great. She has her two months check up with Dr. DeMauro on June 1st. I hope her gooey butter eye clears up before then. I've been using the antibiotic drops and cleaning it, but the left eye just can't seem to shake it. The right eye is all cleared up. If it's not totally better by then, I plan to bring it up at her appointment. Dr. Kreh said it could take months, so I'm trying to not be a total spaz about it. 

Oh, and Stella's baptism is scheduled for June 5th at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist just after the 8am mass. Her godparents, Emily and Marcus, are flying in from Minneapolis to be here for it. I'm looking forward to her meeting them! :) We hope that Derek's grandparents will make it for that as well, so she'll hopefully get to meet her great grandma and great grandpa! 







No comments:

Post a Comment